Monday, July 22, 2013

caring for self




'Me time' can be a foreign concept to many of us while our focus is firmly on caring for a loved one.

The weeks and months can often roll by and time taken to do something just for yourself can be easily pushed to the bottom of the list.

I know in the early days I found this almost impossible even though I know I would have benefited from taking some time out.

While the load was extra hard and heavy, my focus was on just getting through each day.

I now have a slightly different approach.

I have a couple of activities that I know give me some time to myself and also help in lifting my mood.

A walk on the beach by myself, a massage with no talking, time pottering in the garden and picking flowers, an early morning cuppa while my husband sleeps, reading a couple of my favourite affirmation cards, going to the movies alone and a quiet house with no tv all help me to take time out and relax.

I think many of us become quite used to living with very high levels of stress. Having some time for yourself without feeling guilty might be a strange concept at first.

For me it's now essential to have 'me time' factored into my week. I think those in my house all benefit.

What do you do to take some time for yourself? What do you do to relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment