Sunday, November 17, 2013

they just don't get it



We have had an influx of relatives coming our way of late. When we travel we are not the type to stay
with people for all sorts of reasons. We would rather have our space and give other people their space.
Seems as though not everyone is like us. I've had to limit people staying with us to a week and no more. As I've said many times before we're not any easy couple to be around at times and the last thing I need is to feel uncomfortable in my own home.

It's always interesting when explaining this to relatives but I've become pretty good at it now. I'm less interested in the worry associated with offending people and more interested in maintaining a functioning husband and our cosy private space which is our home.

Even those that know my husband well and his condition find it hard to understand the full impact of living with PTSD. In so many ways I understand why this is the case. Unless you have been directly impacted by something why would you understand?

Today while chatting with my husband we may have said 'they just don't get it' on more than one occasion when referring to our visitors. We are learning to set our boundaries and try and encourage others to understand why we need to do this. Sometimes it works but sometimes 'they just don't get it'!

Do you find you need to set boundaries when people want to come and stay with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment